Hedge trimmer does light work! Before the advent of the hedge trimmer, you would trim your hedges and shrubs with a pair of shears. You would be recalled it takes lots of hard work and energy to do a simple task. With the right hedge trimmer, you can now do the job more efficiently, fast and safely.
What Type of Hedges Do You Have In Your Backyard?
Choosing the correct hedge trimmer for the job depends on:
- How tall are your hedges?
- Can you access the top?
- Are there close to walls and fences?
- How big is your yard?
If you have a big yard and want to complete your trimming fast, you would need a powerful one.
Choose a shorter trimmer if you have to manoeuvre between thick shrubs and walls or fences.
Gas or Electric Hedge Trimmer?
In houses with large yards and hedges, trimming is very difficult and demanding. It takes a lot of strength and muscle work and you would normally use a gas hedge trimmer for your job. It’s more powerful compared to the electric ones. Electric ones are either corded or cordless with batteries.
Gas hedge trimmers are cordless and the distance you can go is only limited by how much gas they can carry. Carrying a cord is very cumbersome and you can’t go far.
Is it easy to use?
Perhaps weight and power source are the determining factors in deciding what type of hedge trimmer you would use. Others would say whether it is chord or cordless is more critical. What’s your opinion?
The electric hedge trimmer is generally lighter than the gas one because it has a gas tank on board. Obviously, if ease of use is what you want, the electric hedge trimmer is the one to go for. If you have stronger arms why not opt for the gas hedge trimmer?
Long or short blade?
For the first-timer, you’ll be enticed by the longer blade. Though it can trim your shrubs and hedges doubly quickly it can also be a bane. The long blade can be caused a lot of problems due to your inexperience in handling it, especially if you are using it for the first time. It can be turned out to be a nightmare! It can crush the wall behind and you find it difficult to work in tight spots.
For starters, a shorter 18″ blade will do, and a 20″ or 22″ blade for thicker hedges for your own safety.
Some technical matters
Do you know that the blade gap or the distance between the blade teeth could be the determining factor in the use of trimming different types of branches? There could be from smaller less than an inch to wider ones with a gap of an inch or more.
For thick branches, it is much easier to use a wider gap hedge trimmer, whereas, for small shrubs or branches, a narrower blade gap will be good enough to do the job.
Safety vs Speed
Handling a one-sided blade is safer because the side of the roaring blade is not facing your direction dangerously. This is to prevent accidental touch when you press forward.
But a double-sized blade comes with a whole load of conveniences. You can cut from either or both sides together and this speeds up your work but that depends on your preferences.
BLACK+DECKER LHT2220 20V MAX* Cordless Lithium 22 in. Hedge Trimmer
- A powerful 20V lithium-ion battery delivers power and run-time for most trimming jobs.
- 22 in. dual-action blades cut branches with up to 40% less vibration than single-action blades.
- Quickly cuts branches up to 3/4 in. thick.
- Up to 3000sq ft of actual hedges trimmed per charge.
- The wrap-around front handle provides comfort and control in vertical and horizontal trimming applications.
- A full-length trigger with a soft grip handle provides added comfort during use.
- Part of the 20V* MAX system – A system that demands attention.
- Maximum* initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. The nominal voltage is 18.
BLACK+DECKER LHT2220 20V MAX* Cordless Lithium 22 in. Hedge Trimmer Check Price
“It’s only 5.5 lbs with the battery attached”
Worx WG261.9 22″ Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- LIGHTWEIGHT BUT POWERFUL – Ergonomic perfection: Tough yet comfortable to use, and long enough to make short work of your hedge trimming duties
- 22” CUTTING REACH – Enough length for flat tops and long, even sides. Yet still nimble enough to round the corners. We didn’t arbitrarily pick 22”—we think it’s just right
- SHARE BATTERIES SAVE MONEY- Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
Worx WG261.9 22″ Cordless Hedge Trimmer, 20V Li-ion, 3/4″ Cutting 3/4″ Cutting Capacity, (Tool Only) Check Price
Long Run Time In A Single Charge
Makita XHU02M1 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 22″ Hedge Trimmer Kit
- Up to 120 minutes of run time under no-load using 4.0Ah battery BL1840B on the lowest setting
- Makita-built motor delivers 1,350 SPM for increased cutting speed
- 22″ blade provides increased cutting capacity
- Anti-vibration design (five cushions within the motor housing) helps minimize vibration
- Battery capacity warning system; motor stops and the light goes on indicating the battery needs recharging
- Lower noise level at only 87 dB(A) for operator comfort
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 38″ long
- Weighs only 7.4 lbs. with a battery for reduced operator fatigue
- 2-handed operation; the motor is activated only when the switch and top handle are engaged
- A rubberized soft grip provides increased comfort on the job
Makita XHU02M1 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 22″ Hedge Trimmer Kit Check Price
Poulan Pro 22 in. 23cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer
- The 2-cycle machine is equipped with a powerful 23cc, full-crank, 2-cycle engine for maximum cutting performance
- Stainless steel dual-sided serrated blades cut swaths up to 22″W and limbs up to 1″ in diameter
- Rotating handle with advanced anti-vibration for superior comfort, reduced fatigue and maximum precision
- 23cc hedge trimmer has a lightweight design of just 11.1 lbs for added comfort and reduced strain and fatigue
- Designed to be easy to use
- Use for trimming all of the shrubs and similar plants in your yard
Poulan Pro 22 in. 23cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer PR2322 Check Price
Corded Hedge Trimmer
Greenworks 4 Amp 22-inch Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer
- 4 Amp motor to get the job done efficiently
- 22 in. dual-action steel blades for optimal performance and manoeuvring
- 5/8 in. cutting capacity, perfect for bushes and shrubs
- The innovative 180-degree rotating rear handle provides easy trimming at multiple angles with wrap around auxiliary handle for user comfort
- Convenient cord lock to prevent accidental unplugging
Greenworks 4 Amp 22-inch Corded Electric Hedge Trimmer, 22122 Check Price
Among a few points, you should consider when choosing the right hedge trimmer is comfort in use. It’s lightweight and it has a wrap-around and a rotating rear handle for easy manoeuvre at all angles when you are trimming.
When the machine is engaged, it shakes a lot. It is good to have anti-vibration to reduce hand and arm fatigue for extra comfort.
Choose a hedge trimmer with the right length you are comfortable with. You can choose any length as long as you are comfortable with it.
Safety is one factor one should not take it lightly as a slight mistake could cause serious consequences. Check out models with dual safety switches when you want to start operating the machine. A double switch prevents any accidental switching on the roving blades when you are not ready to engage the machine.
If you opt for a corded hedge trimmer make sure you have a safety cord that prevents any accidental unplugging.
Though you have to wear ear goggles for safety reasons, however always check the lower noise level you can find.
Is the above hedge trimmer zero-emission?
Not only do you want to keep your shrubs neat and dandy, but your lawn should also look the splendour of a lush green carpet of grass. Click here, I have a selection of lawn movers to share with you.
Father shrub said to his son shrub, “Sonny, you need a trim badly!”Source: Plant World Geography
WAS THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL? PASS IT ON