Still afraid of the frigid days come winter? Safety comes first when the cold and dry winter is coming. If you need to heat up your rooms of a house or the connected areas, you used a device called a space heater. Most space heaters are portable either are powered by electricity or burnable fuel, like wood pellets, fuel oil, kerosene, natural gas, wood pellets or propane.
Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier Link Shop at Walmart
Cut away view of the 360-degree filter, showing airflow through the filter layers
Removes 99.97% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.3 microns
How do I choose a space heater?
Knowing how your space heaters operate will help you to determine what type of space heater is suitable for your use either in your house in your place of work. When choosing a space heater, keep safety issues as your number one consideration. The other is whether the type of space heater will serve a specific purpose. Some would work well in different surroundings. To make sure it is the right choice for you, be sure to analyze your purpose and whether it fit your requirement.
How to identify the features in a space heater?
- Heat Transfer – Radiant heaters transfer heat using the induction of electromagnetic. They use a quartz filament to generate heat.
- Heat Generator – Infrared heaters are caged in a box, and the heat is generated through a slit in the box
- Save on electricity – Fuel heaters use propane gas to generate heat and electricity is not required
Space heaters are divided into 3 main categories: Convection, Radiant and Conductive.
Convection heater –
When air is circulating through the heating element through the body of the appliance, it heats up the surrounding air causing it to expand and increase its buoyancy and rise. Hence, it warms up your room by convection. Usually, it has a fan to help in circulating these warm airs.
Convective heaters are effective in the well-insulated room and most importantly they are able to provide constant and diffuse heat easily. Convection heaters generate heat slowly, and the heat it generated could last longer. Their output is quieter and they do not make much noise when running.
The oil-filled heater
Lifesmart ZCHT1097US 6 Element 1500W Portable Infrared Quartz Mica Shop at Walmart
Also heats the surrounding air by convection. Although it is filled with oil, this oil is not used in burning as a fuel, it is electrically heated. The oil has to be heated before the heat can heat the surrounding air. It produces more heat after the heat is turned off, as compared to the other method of heat convention because the oil retains heat. Advantages of oil-filled heaters are they are no fire-risks.
Pelonis Electric Oil Filled Heater with Adjustable Thermostat, HO-17LA1B Shop at WalWalmart
Perfect for added warmth and comfort, the PELONIS HO-17LA1B oil-filled heater has an adjustable thermostat, auto shut-off overheat protection, convenient cord wrap, and 360-degree rotating caster wheels for easy mobility in your apartment, home, dorm room, or garage
Unlike heating the air by the conventional method, infrared heaters warm the clothing and skin directly without first heating the air in a space. The conductive wire of the appliance is heated up by electricity, radiating heat to a solid surface, emitting infrared rays. This makes heating better in a poorly insulated room or outdoors.
Why choose a radiant heater?
DeLonghi TRD40615E Full Room Radiant Heater Shop at Walmart
Personalized comfort: Customize to your heating needs with an adjustable thermostat and three heat settings.Heating power – Min (W): 700
- Better coverage – It warms up a full room easily expansively
- Silent worker – It runs quietly because it operates by emitting radiant heat
- Radiant warm – The main output to the room is radiant heat and not heated air
- Better directional – Quartz heaters are more efficient in the amount and direction of heat.
- Heat up small spaces – A halogen heater is ideally suitable for small spaces, instantly heating the objects and people in front of you.
- Electromagnetic – It makes use of the function of electromagnetic emissions for warmth, using less energy
- Lesser electric bill – Save on power bills because it consumes less energy to heat up the same amount of space as compared to another heater
Heat pumps –
works in the reverse process of a refrigerator and air conditioners. The heat pumps move the source of the heat from the outside to where you want to warm it.
Ceramic heaters are usually portable and it is commonly used in a small office and heating a room. They applied the principle of metal-element fan heaters. It generates heat using a heating element of the Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC).
This PTC ceramic material is semi-conductive when voltage is applied to it. Accordingly, the power reduces quickly as it reaches a certain temperature by its composition. This ceramic material when contacted with aluminium fins resulting in the fins being heated up. Fans aids in heating up the air.
The ceramic heater is very safe to use, it is compact and it can sufficiently warm up a room in your home or just a small space. It operates on electricity that means there is no danger of toxic emissions such as carbon monoxide in the space. When operates efficiently, it will consume less amount of electricity than other space heaters.
Ceramic heaters consist of ceramic plates and baffles and it operates on the principle of convection. When connected to electric, the coil and baffles get heated up. Fans helped blow the hot air around. They are less prone to start an electric fire. Just like other space heaters, ceramic needs a substantial space around to operational efficiency. Lasko Electric Ceramic Heater, 1500W, Silver, 754200 Shop at Walmart
3 Quiet Settings – including high heat, low heat, and fan only make this electric space heater ideal for warming up an area in your home. Combined with an adjustable thermostat This personal space heater is great for small areas. The product does not have a remote
Most ceramic heaters have a host lot of safety features, such as overheating sensors, timer control and auto shut off. And there are the overheating sensors for monitoring the heater. Such features allow you to have peace-state-of-mind without worries of fire and overheating. If excessive temperate occurs it will automatically shut off. The timer will allow you to fix the time when you want it off without having to monitor it in case you forgot to keep it running especially at night.
Ceramic heater Safety for children in mind
With so many space heater, safety for children is of utmost importance. There is always the risk of burns and scalding because children tend to be inquisitive and get pretty close out of curiosity. However, ceramic heaters are much safe because the heating elements stay cool to the touch.
Even if a drapery is placed near the ceramic heater the chances it caught fire is very low. Ignition due to overheating is also very rare. Because of it’s versatile, the ceramic heaters are the preferred choice. AeroHome 1500W / 750W Ceramic Space Heater – Portable Indoor Shop at Walmart
SAFE – Temperature and Tip-Over Protection: This ceramic space heater is ETL-Certified for indoor use. The adjustable thermostat control has a safety switch that protects against overheating. If the heater is lifted, tilted or accidentally turned on its side, another safety switch will automatically turn the heater off.
Are space heaters safe?
No manufacturer can claim that their heater is safer than the other. The risk of fire and burn will depend on the type of make and model and the manufacturer and the safety features added on. We cannot stress enough that safety is the most important feature in a space heater, look out for:
- Accident prevention– Space heaters with safety guards in the front of the heating coil
- Heat regulate – Automatic thermostats
- Tip – Sensors that will trigger a complete shutdown safety is compromised, such as a tip
- Scald-free – Is there a cold touch surface? It can prevent accidental burns and scald
- Prevention -Internal sensors to prevent overheating
A gas heater is fueled by burning propane or butane, natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas to heat a room or an outdoor area. This makes your operation very simple because you are free to choose the type, depending on what works and what doesn’t works for your home and your space.
The gas heater is effective and popular because they are effective. They heat up hot tubs and spas in a relatively short time. Some types allow you a choice to choose the temperature of both your pool and the spas. Gas heater doesn’t take up much space on your existing concrete pad. Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU Vent Free Blue Flame Propane Heater Shop at Walmart
Automatic low oxygen shut-off system (ODS). CSA Certified
Is gas heater costly?
The prices of natural gas and liquefied petroleum or propane vary, accordingly to the market prices. These cost factors together with the amount of time and the weather in your area will ultimately determine the cost of running it.
Still, you want to consider a gas heater for use?
- Small – Gas heaters take up little space
- Cheap – They are less inexpensive to purchase
- Less Footprint – Low emission
- All Year Round – Your pool will be heated up in all weather, so your swimming enjoyment is not hindered
- Enjoy Winter Dip – perfect solutions for heating pools in winter
- On a Budget – If you live in a cold climate, gas furnace save you money in the long run
Is it safe to run my space heater overnight?
Whether it is running on electricity or gas, the space heater housed an element that gets hot and hotter due to prolong use and may cause a fire. So it is advisable not to use overnight. Typically, an electric heater draws 1,500 watts of electricity and it will heat up the wires where it flows quickly. If you have old house wiring, the much electricity load will heat the wires and starts a fire behind the walls. Even you have good wiring you should not extend the hours recommended especially when your house wiring is aged.
Conventional and catalytic gas heaters emit carbon monoxide
These conventional and catalytic gas heaters as a result of incomplete combustion release odourless and colourless carbon monoxide. You don’t know what you are inhaling because it is odourless and colourless and may be harmful if you breathe in a large dosage. So it is important to turn off your heater before you go to bed because there was no warning that you have inhaled a lot.
The reasons why you are not getting the best of your heater
- Why are you still feeling cold? – State of being is one of the factors that you are not experiencing a similar feeling while you are using your heater. You are still feeling cold despite it is set at the normal temperature as before. Could it be your state of being that you still feeling cold? Have you gone through any changes, like physically, or psychology?
- Curtain thickness? – changed your thick curtain for a thinner one?
- Home Improvement? – been renovating your house or room?
- Air-tight? – Are your windows closed nicely so that there are properly sealed?
- Warm air escaping – Your ceiling might be leaking into an unheated space
I have done my research and found these fine picks:
- you may like: Duraflame DFI-5050-01 Fireplace Stove from Amazon
2. Suitable for your needs: Lasko 6462 Ceramic Heater from Amazon
3. Suitable for small spaces: Vornado VH10 Vortex Heater from Amazon
4. Suitable for Big rooms: LifeSmart LS-1000X-6W-IN Large Room Heater from Amazon
5. Reviewers love the design: Dyson AM09 Fan heater from Amazon
6. If you are on a budget: Lasko 754200 Ceramic heater from Amazon
7. For your own use: Lasko Personal Ceramic heater from Amazon
8. 4 -in-1 Purifier, Heater, Fan & Humidifier: Envion by Borneco from Amazon
8. I want to save energy: Honeywell EnergySmart Indoor Heater from Amazon
9. It’s quiet and portable: Optimus Electric from Amazon
10. Saved the best for last: Duraflame DFI-5010-01 Infrared quartz fireplace stove from Amazon
Is your new space heater keeps you warmth?
The opinions mentioned in this content are those of the publisher, not Amazon.
WAS THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL? PASS IT ON