Microwave is synonymous with heating up leftovers or reheating your food which had turned cold.
However, if you think that it’s the only thing that the microwave can do, you are in a pleasant surprise or you’re missing out on what this handy useful home appliance can do for you.
College students living in dormitories and people who don’t cook often will find these microwaves a must-have in the kitchen. You don’t need a stove to reheat, and using a stove it is difficult to control the heat.
Microwave lets you heat your food in precisely the exact amount of time and temperature you set.
Moreover, the food reheated retains almost its original form without making the food wet and retaining its nutrients all the time.
If you reheat in a stove the food loses all its moisture and nutrients.
Frozen Food Haven
Did you notice as you walk down the aisle of the frozen food sections in the supermarket? You’d be surprised by the multitude of frozen foods that can be cooked or reheated in a microwave.
Your favourite food that you have been craving but don’t have the skills to prepare.
They are all available and the options are endless. All you have to do is to follow the instructions from the packaging and in no time you can enjoy what you’ve been longing for.
Nothing is more convenient and easier than that.
Do you know that every year on December 6th, we even celebrated National Microwave Owen Day?
What’s the difference between Conventional Microwaves and Convection Microwaves?
You are confused with a Microwave and a Microwave Oven and I know it is a bit tricky if you going to purchase one. What’s the difference?
Microwaves appliances use microwave technology in the electromagnetic spectrum to quickly heat up the food’s water molecules.
Whereas a microwave oven has an extra heating element and fan to circulate hot air inside.
You roast, and bake just like you are cooking with your home kitchen cookware! All you have to do is to preheat the oven.
Follow me on my Cooking Ware lifestyle blog here.
On choosing a microwave
Probably, you’re buying for the first time or your old one has passed its useful life. It has been years since you have had to look for a new one.
Owning a microwave is very one essential to-do for your home appliances, a very helpful tool in your kitchen.
There are different types of microwaves which will cater to your different needs. They come in a vast variety of sizes, capacities, power ranges and usage.
This is the most common of all the different types of microwaves you can get.
You’ll love it because it is affordable and you don’t require any extra installation.
Just simply unpack and plugin and you can be cooking.
Usually, they are quite compact in size and will not take up much space on your countertop.
But some good brands may include trim kits for you to convert into a built-in microwave to free up counter space and make your kitchen look more high-end and uncluttered too.
Hamilton Beach 1.1 Cu. Ft. 1000W Stainless Steel Microwave
- Microwave oven with handle measures 20.21″ (W) x 17.14″ (D) x 12.10″ (H)
- 1.1 cubic feet
- Includes 6 pre-set options for fast and easy cooking: popcorn, potato, pizza, frozen vegetable, beverage, and dinner plate
- Easily view the time and kitchen timer from almost anywhere in the room with the LED digital display panel
- The modern stainless steel finish sure to complement almost any decor
- Features weight and time defrost options for the ultimate convenience
- Maintain peace of mind and keep little ones safe with the child-safe lockout feature
Hamilton Beach 1.1 Cu. Ft. 1000W Stainless Steel Microwave Buy Now at Walmart
Proctor Silex 0.7 Cu.ft Black Digital Microwave Oven
The Proctor Silex 0.7 cu ft 700 Watt Microwave Oven has a black design that fits in perfectly with virtually any kitchen decor.
- Features ten power levels for precise cooking and defrosting of a wide variety of foods
- Six convenient pre-set menu buttons make preparing the most common dishes easy
- The Digital LED display clock and the timer is easy to read
- Includes a child safety lock to help prevent mishaps Removeable glass turntable wipes clean with warm soapy water
- Defrosts and cooks food fast
- The black design blends in with virtually any kitchen decor
- Dimensions: 17.56″ L x 12.6″ W x 9.57″ H
- Weight: 20.94 lbs.
Proctor Silex 0.7 Cu.ft Black Digital Microwave Oven Buy Now at Walmart
Technology advances have made it possible to have a microwave installed above your cooktop and act as a ventilation system for the cooking below too.
A good brand may either allow you to either vent outside or recirculate clean air back.
The venting power could be limited for professional cooking or restaurants and eateries but would be sufficient for an average home cook.
For small family cooking, the over-the-range microwave is great to siphon off a small quantity of heat, oil, steam or smoke from your cooktop surface. They are able to sufficiently keep your kitchen clean and cool considerably.
Black+Decker Over-the-Range Microwave with Top Mount Air Recirculation Vent
- Efficient & Effective – 1000 watts of cooking power and 10 different power levels for boiling, reheating and defrosting
- 1-6 min quick start
- 30sec. Quick start
- Press N’ Go – One-touch cooking programs allow you to easily cook your favourite foods fast
- Incandescent Lighting – Above-the-range light illuminates cooking space for optimal preparation
- Vent System – Control air quality by exhausting smoke, steam, and odours from your cooktop
- Modern Controls – Featuring a clean display to compliment any kitchen
- Safety Lock – Lock the control panel to prevent accidental use or access by children
- Quickly defrost your frozen goods to get them to the perfect temperature
Black+Decker EM044KIN-P 1.6-Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range Microwave with Top Mount Air Recirculation Vent, Stainless Steel Buy Now at Walmart
Frigidaire 30″ Wide 1.6 Cu. Ft. 1000 Watt Over-The-Range Microwave
- With the help of a cooktop, LED lighting illuminates your meal prep giving you a clear bright look at your progress
- LED interior lighting stays on while your meal cooks giving you full visibility at all times
- Easy-to-use one-touch buttons give you easy options at the tips of your fingers, this feature lets you add 30 seconds at the push of a button or baking potatoes
- Multi-stage cooking options allow you to program in power levels and cooking times giving you a completely custom experience
- This over-the-range microwave also doubles as a vent hood giving you two-speed ventilation clearing the kitchen of unwanted odours and steam
- Zero clearance door guarantees that opening the door at 90 degrees with not make contact with any cabinetry
- Extra-large turntable gives you more room for large bowls or casserole dishes saving time and dishes
Frigidaire FFMV1645T 30″ Wide 1.6 Cu. Ft. 1000 Watt Over-The-Range Microwave Buy Now at Walmart
“Two cooks spoil the broth.”
Sometimes you wish you have the whole kitchen by yourself with no disturbances from your family members but it is difficult if you have your mum and aunts doing the cooking at the same time fighting for the same range.
Luckily, if you have your microwave installed as a built-in into the wall or cabinet that will free up some space in your counter range.
Install your built-in microwave may require some professional help though. But if you are replacing an old one, you would have had the experience.
Built-in microwave often comes with a coordinating trim kit and an instruction manual. First, lay out all the parts available and follow the step-by-step instructions.
Make sure you have all the screws, brackets, base bracket assembly, trim frame, strikes, and ventilation ducts before you start.
Sometimes you have to buy the trim kit separately for they may not include in the pack.
Panasonic 1.6 Cu. Ft. 1250W Genius Sensor Countertop/Built-In Microwave Oven
- Full-size 1.6 cu. ft. capacity microwave oven for countertop or built-in installation
- 1250 watts of cooking power with 10 power levels
- Removable 15-inch glass revolving turntable
- Full-tactile membrane control panel with green 4-digit display
- Stainless and black screen door with push-open door release
- Inverter technology delivers a seamless stream of power for precision cooking
- Inverter turbo defrost for fast even defrosting
- Genius one-touch sensor cook and reheat eliminates guesswork
- 14 preset auto-cook/sensor cook menu items
- Multi-stage cooking up to 3 stages
Panasonic 1.6 Cu. Ft. 1250W Genius Sensor Countertop/Built-In Microwave Oven with Inverter Technology-Color: Stainless Steel Buy Now at Walmart
Advent MW912BK Black Built-in Microwave Oven with Trim Kit
- One-touch electronic controls with digital display let you quickly and easily adjust cook times, cook settings, power levels, clock and timer
- 0.9 cu.ft capacity
- 900 watts of cooking power and 10 adjustable power levels let you boil, reheat, defrost and more
- 6 pre-programmed one-touch digital cook settings let you easily prepare popcorn, pizza, frozen entrees or beverages at the touch of a button
- 8 pre-programmed one-touch digital cook settings for popcorn, pizza, frozen entrees or beverages
- Glass turntable rotates foods to provide even cooking
- Easy-access door
- White cavity and black outer enclosure
- Includes Trim Kit PMWTRIM
- UL/CUL Listed
Advent MW912BK Black Built-in Microwave Oven with Trim Kit Buy Now at Walmart
If you want style and convenience you are highly recommended to use the microwave drawer.
As the name implies, the microwave drawer is like a cabinet drawer commonly installed below a countertop or wall oven.
Its drawer-like makes it easy to reach to place and retrieve your food without the need to reach overhead and twist to remove heavy dishes and hot food. You’ll have the benefits of lifting up not pulling out which makes the difference for a shorter and older person.
With a pull-out drawer, you’ll be able to arrange more things in the microwave because now you can have a bird’s eye view.
Normal front-loading microwave does not have the advantage of overseeing what is placed deep inside from the top.
Because there is no swing door, it all makes opening and closing the microwave drawer with either your left or your right hand.
Most good brands will just slide open with a touch of a button without having to do physical exertion.
Another plus point is that you can too easily close it with a bit of nudge and it will simply glide to a close.
The safety lock is incorporated to prevent curious children and pets from accidents.
The control panel is flushed along with its sleek design. It opens with a slight push.
The only downside is installing a microwave cabinet and it may require professional help but the pros far exceed the cons.
You will not regret having a microwave cabinet to add to your joy and cooking experience in the kitchen.
Sharp Microwave Drawer
- Pull-Out Drawer Design: A revolutionary approach to microwave design allows for unique placement of your appliance — it would look great installed above or below your conventional oven
- Two Ways to Open: The unit can either be pulled open with the handle or with the press of a button on the Auto-Touch™ control panel
- Sensor Cooking: Take the guesswork out of cooking with sensors that know when your food is done
- Auto Defrost: Defrost based on the food type and weight for quick and accurate thawing
- Hidden Control Panel: Touch controls flip in and out of a recessed pocket keeping a classy, seamless look to your kitchen appliance
- Popcorn and Beverage: Convenient dedicated settings for popcorn and beverages
- Total Capacity: 1.2 Cu. Ft.
- Bulb Type: Halogen
- Warm Function: Yes
- Self-Cleaning: No
- Display Type: LCD
- Fuel Type: Electric
- Depth: 23-1/64″
- Height: 15-7/8″
- Width: 23-7/8″
- Amperage: 14.5 A
- Voltage: 120 V
- Wattage: 1670 W
Sharp Smd2470a 24″ Wide 1.2 Cu. Ft. Microwave Drawer – Stainless Steel Buy Now at Walmart
ZLINE 24 Inch 1.2 Cubic Feet 1000 Watt Digital Microwave Drawer
- Easy-to-use microwave drawer offers a modern and sleek design while saving space in your kitchen
- Suitable for installation in kitchen island, pantry, or cabinet
- 24-inch width and 1.2 cubic feet of space provide ample area for cooking and reheating food
- The front handle allows for ambidextrous use with easy-to-clean stainless steel construction
- Features automatic open/close, touchscreen controls, 11 power levels, popcorn, and defrost button
- Colour: Silver/black
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 23.6 x 14 x 25.2 inches
- Weight: 70.5 pounds
ZLINE 24 Inch 1.2 Cubic Feet 1000 Watt Digital Microwave Drawer, Stainless Steel Buy Now at Walmart
With a convection microwave, you’d get the additional functions of an oven. It can do all those cooking features like an oven in a microwave! You can switch between your microwave mode and oven mode interchangeably.
Oven Mode Preheat
However, of course, you have to change to oven mode first before you start to bake.
The oven will then pre-heat the oven and once it is pre-heat, the oven is ready to use.
Metal cookware reflects rays and is not suitable to use in a microwave. The ray that cannot penetrate through will render your food unequally cooked.
However, in the oven mode, they can be safely used, because, in this mode, the microwave oven uses hot air to circulate what is cooking.
Cuisinart 1.2 Cu. Ft. Microwave Convection Oven and Grill
Cuisinart presents a countertop oven that’s the ultimate combination of size, style and smarts. The big, 1.2 cubic foot Microwave Convection Oven and Grill looks like it belongs in a high-end commercial kitchen.
Brushed stainless steel and black frame a sleek control panel that offers single and combination settings for an unlimited number of cooking options.
A multi-stage cooking feature that automatically shifts from one function to another makes perfect results easier than ever.
Cuisinart 1.2 Cu. Ft. Microwave Convection Oven and Grill, Stainless Steel Buy Now at Walmart
Sharp 1.5 Cu. Ft. 900W Convection Microwave Oven
- 900-watt convection microwave oven with 10 power levels
- For countertop use or built-in application (trim kit sold separately)
- 1.5 cu. ft. capacity with a removable 15.4-inch ceramic turntable
- Lighted, the stainless steel oven interior
- Convection technology gives you perfect roasting, baking and browning
- Microwave technology provides the speed you desire for rapid reheating and fast cooking
- Precise Cook sensor technology determines heating times and power levels (8 menu items)
- 12 one-touch options including auto defrost, reheat, +60 Seconds, and popcorn
- Touch control panel with white LED display, clock/timer, and child lock
- Help menu and demonstration mode
- UL / cUL listed
- Colour: White
Sharp 1.5 Cu. Ft. 900W Convection Microwave Oven Buy Now at Walmart
Even though microwave is not as effective at killing bacteria in food as in other cooking methods due to their lower heat and shorter cooking time, you can make up for that with a rotating turntable.
This would help to sufficiently even up the heat.
Nowadays, people are looking for convenience, easier and faster in their cooking. Definitely, a microwave can live up to its billing.
Is it safe?
But it is safe to use microwaves radiation in your cooking?
There are enough theories and arguments about the pros and cons of the usage of microwaves. Anyway, it has been around since 1967 and people have been using the microwave to cook their food. This can testify by a whole lot of microwaves available out there to cater to your every need.
Trivial“When a short person waves at you, it’s called a microwave.”
WAS THIS ARTICLE HELPFUL? PASS IT ON
1 thought on “Microwave: One Touch To Elevate Your Cooking Experience”
Pingback: Ovens: What Type Of Ovens Are Suitable For Your Cooking? - Secret Note